Duterte claims responsibility for Marawi’s destruction: If residents want to sue, go ahead

Duterte claims responsibility for Marawi’s destruction: If residents want to sue, go ahead

Oct 30, 2017 @ 15:10 President Rodrigo Duterte said he is ready to face any charges that may be filed against him or the government over the destruction of Marawi City after a conflict that lasted nearly five months.

Oct 30, 2017

President Rodrigo Duterte said he is ready to face any charges that may be filed against him or the government over the destruction of Marawi City after a conflict that lasted nearly five months.

In a press conference before leaving for Japan Sunday (October 29), Duterte said residents of Marawi City are “well within their rights” to sue the government for what happened to the area.

“But let me answer you here and now, that I declared martial law to answer the challenges of the moment and I take full legal, criminal, and civil liability. Ako ‘yun,” he said.

“I hold myself solely responsible for what happened, including what — the things that — the incidents there, the events that transpired. Sabi ko, ‘I take full responsibility for all,’” he added.

Duterte said residents of Marawi City can bring the matter to the International Criminal Court if they think Philippine courts are biased.

Soldiers battled with members of the Maute group and their allies from May until earlier this month.

Read more at Politiko – http://politics.com.ph/duterte-claims-responsibility-marawis-destruction-residents-want-sue-go-ahead/

Comments

comments